ss_blog_claim=0ee3c21bd89a395a531a0cad584a9549

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

 
It wound up being a very vetty day today. In the morning, had a quick tour of the Shaw pet hospital's equine surgical facilities so I could take a few photos for the vet book. Worked for a bit at home and then, this afternoon, Dr. Gaunt from Elk Lake Veterinary Hospital came by to have a look at Emma's eye. Seems she bumped it or got a hayseed caught in there somewhere... The end result was a pretty yucky looking eye. Since I'm busy collecting vets at work photos, I snapped away as Dr. Gaunt did all kinds of intereseting things to Emma's inflamed eyeball. Fortunately, Dad (who has a phobia about eye things) was positioned on the far side of the pony so he didn't have to see what was going on. I have some pretty juicy shots of the nasty-looking eyeball, but I won't post them here just in case visitors are surfing through while snacking.

The prognosis is good. We don't think there's an ulcer or major damage to the cornea. So, we're treating with anti-inflammatories, steroids, and antibiotics to reduce the swelling and get rid of the infection. With any luck and barring any further injury, she should be ok. Hopefully, she will be well on the mend by Friday, which is when I head out of town for my school and library tour in the Kootenays. Posted by Picasa

No comments: