ss_blog_claim=0ee3c21bd89a395a531a0cad584a9549

Friday, March 27, 2009

Welcome to the World, Little Book


Venom is out! It's always pretty exciting when the box of author copies arrives in the mail. Venom might not be my first book, but it is a book of firsts.
1. First one I've done for the Orca Sports series (not the last - we're well into editing Razor's Edge, set in the world of harness racing and inspired by one of the oddest crimes out there, horse tail theft...)
2. First high interest, low vocabulary book I've done for a teen audience.
3. First kiss... well, not my first kiss (duh) but first time characters have kissed in a book (most of my other books are written for younger kids)
4. First time I've attempted a first person narrative written from the perspective of a teenage boy... (though, that wasn't as difficult as another book I'm working on which is written in the first person from the p.o.v. of a horse...)

Which just goes to show, it doesn't matter how many books I write, every one stretches
me in some new direction.

3 comments:

kc dyer said...

Hoooraayyy!!!

Congratulations, Nikki!

~kc

Tori said...

I just noticed that you'll be at Bolen Books on the 20th for the Orca launch! I will so be there ... I don't know if you remember, as there were so many participants, but I was at the Vancouver writing conference for kids back in 2002 (maybe 2001, I'm not sure) and met you then, and later emailed you my short story about a haunted house and the doomed romance that takes place in it. You kindly critiqued it for me and offered encouragement that I took to heart - I've since become a part-time freelancer (currently on hold while I finish up a university course) and have several novels on the go.

Anyways, that's a longwinded way of saying thank you, not just for your encouragement but for your wonderful books! I was just rereading Tarragon Island the other night.

I look forward to seeing you at the launch!

Nikki Tate-Stratton said...

Hi Tori -
how good to hear from you! And congratulations with all your writing accomplishments! It's great to hear you will be at the launch on the 20th - please be sure to introduce yourself and say hi!
Cheers,
Nikki